Monday, August 27, 2012

Kathy's beautiful fabric throw

My friend Kathy Watson has moved to Sun City, Arizona.  Supposedly she will be back here during the summers when it is brain boil in Arizona.  Last fall before she left, Kathy and I were on retreat at Lake Beauty.  She had this great fabric she wanted to use for a throw at the end of the bed.  Kathy decided to quilt the design motifs with a minke backing.  She spent a lot of time getting the whole cloth pinned to the minke (it really stretches a lot so needs mega pinning).

This spring when she was back she passed the partially completed throw to me for finishing.  You know it was just following the design on the fabric, nothing real difficult or fussy but OMG there was a lot more than what I gave it credit for.  I quilted on this thing for weeks to get it done.  If I needed practice with my free-motion technique, I just got it.




The fabric is a great print of medallion circles and curly cue flowers and stems.  I was able to just follow the outline of the different motifs with a tan thread on top and a yellow in the bobbin. 

   


With all of the pinning the whole thing was pretty heavy but the mink really need the stabilization or it would have stretched and sagged all over.  As it turned out, the minke took on a fabulous texture. 

 
Once she binds this "quilt" (there is no batting) I think Kathy will really like the results.

No comments: