Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Emma's Graduation Quilt 2010

A couple of years ago I saw this really interesting quilt at the Lake Beauty retreat.  The basic concept was a cross between the kaleidoscope pattern and a Stack and Whack but using a 4 patch repeat.  The 4-Patch Posy pattern is fun to make and fascinating to watch happen.  I knew before I started that it does best with fabric that has a good size repeat with multiple design points to create interest.  I have made a couple of these and really enjoy the variation of each block.

I found this floral fabric that I thought had nice movement and good color balance so I went hunting for the fabric to act as the block frame, sashing and cornerstones. 

 This is a little out of focus but it lets you see the basic design
I actually made the quilt top 2 years and set it aside waiting for the right person to finish the quilt for.  It is great when you have a quilt top on the shelf waiting for it's people to come claim it.   I felt this quilt top looks like a Italian hand painted tile wall.



I finished the quilt with Warm & Natural batt and machine quilted it on the Handi Quilter mid-arm.  There is so much texture in the fabric and pattern that an all-over design was appropriate for the quilting. 

Sample Block 1
Sample Block 2


Sample Block 3

















This June Brian's girlfriend, Emma Erickson, graduated from college with a BS from Evergreen in Olympia, WA. I thought that she would enjoy the colors and flowing motion that makes this a really light and airy quilt in some of the gray rainy days of winter in Olympia.

Congratulations Emma! 

No comments: