Sunday, January 15, 2012

Garden in the Grey Dawn Project for 2012

Now that the Baltimore Album top is done and I am working on hand quilting it (this is going to take a while 'cuz it is really BIG) it is time for me to pick up another applique project.  I have a number of patterns but found the Karen Kay Buckley design for Magical Medallions online and really liked the stylized flowers and sweeping design. 

During my trip to Lancaster last spring I was thrilled to find that the quilt show had a special display of Karen Kay Buckley quilts hanging.  I was so excited to be able to really look at her quilts and the subtle design additions that you can see close-up but really miss in a typical photo.

My friend and travel companion, Meg, suggested starting with a grey on grey color pallet for the background and framing which I thought would be a great neutral but still show off the brighter colors that I had in mind. I am thinking of the iridescent glow that flowers and plants take on in the early morning light - hence the Grey Dawn.

I have the first block almost complete except for some embroidery accents and about 75% of the second block completed.  This is turning out to be a nice pattern to work with lots of detail but fairly straight forward applique pieces - just a lot of them.


Block 1 needs embroidery vines to the little pink flowers and tiny yellow appliqued circles in the center of those flowers.


Block 2 needs to have the green scrolls finished and the flower center has some pieces to add yet.

I will post the various blocks as they come together - there are a total of 12 blocks plus the center medallion and a darker grey scalloped sashing.  I have a lot to work on yet.

No comments: