Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Handwork is Good

I started working on this quilt a number of years ago based on a line drawing in a Marti Michelle pattern book on Hexagons.  I like English Paper Piecing and liked the tumbling blocks concept of this design so I started collecting fabrics.

I wanted to do something that was really just color gradations and not showcasing fabric patterns.  Knowing that I didn't need a lot of yardage in any one fabric meant that I could look at smaller quantities of many fabrics.  A trip to Mary Jo's in North Carolina a couple of years ago resulted in lots of options and more dollars than what I had planned.  Oh well, it is a hand project and will last for quite awhile.

I was right about the amount of time but wrong about not needing more fabric.  For the last couple of years I have played with the gradations and made a number of blocks.  In the last month or so we have had a couple of long haul road trips where I was able to tack the fabric while Steve motors us down the road.  Last week I realized that I needed to start putting this on the wall so I can see what I actually have completed, what needs to get changed and what I need to add or edit. I also spent time working out the general placement in EQ7.

My what a difference putting it on the wall made.  I now see that I have a couple of fabrics that are too dark or too green versus teal.  I have figured out what "nine patch"star blocks I want to add into this design and have most of the placement /colors worked out.  I know I want to add a pieced border using the same diamond units to carry the colorful theme all the way out.


I still have some blocks to make but my reluctance to continue the project has been resolved and I have a better plan in mind.  Now I am jazzed to keep working on this.  I have most of it cut and prepped.  This weekend I am going to start working on the "nine patch" star blocks to see just how much of a challenge it is going to be.  I think I will do at least some of it as paper foundation piecing before I whip stitch the 3 diamond row together.  Not sure about the process yet but i should be entertaining.  I will let you know....


1 comment:

Cheri Dawn said...

Having seen this in person, I'm jazzed to see the final outcome!