Tuesday, June 1, 2010

You gotta' start somewhere!

I have wanted to have a blog for quite some time.  Somehow I always felt like I wanted it to be done without the gittin' it done side of things.  Last week Steve and I went to Indiana for a week of his woodworking classes.  I took my sewing machine and a pieced and sandwiched quilt which I need to have done for the Minnesota Quilt Show (drop off is June 11th).  On the long drive out and back I kept thinking about what a poor job we do of documenting our respective projects and decided it was time to get started.

 April 25th, 2010

So the first quilt I am going to document is the quilt that I am making for the neighbors who watch our dog(s) when we are out of town.  Mary & Jerry have taken care of the zoo (Beaux, Dottie, Bullseye, Dude and Mocha) on many occasions over the years.  Every year I planned to make them a quilt for Christmas and just didn't get around to it until October - now that is thinking ahead.  This year, in February, I asked Mary to go out with me and pick out her fabric color and style.  

Mary choose a fairly traditional color pallet based on the Moda Vine Creek line.  Mary  really likes the quilts I make with a dark or black background.  I decided to use the Glad Creations pattern "Just Around the Corner" to complement the traditional fabric style and play off of the light/dark contracts in the background.

I was already committed to make this quilt for Christmas 2010 when my co-workers at Glad's decided that we should all enter a quilt in the June 2010 show using a Glad Creations pattern.  Suddenly my time-line was significantly shortened.  By the end of April I had the quilt top pieced and was planning the back and quilting designs.  Because the quilt was a little narrow for a queen sized bed, I added a Vine Creek border section to the left and right sides of the quilt.  

I decided that a black based backing fabric and a Hobbs Heirloom black batt would be best for this quilt.  Getting it pinned before I left for Indiana last week was a little challenging as was getting the stabilization lines quilted on small tables in a hotel room.  I am in the process now of completing the free motion quilting and should be putting on the binding by the end of the week.


Once the quilting is done and I have the sleeve on for the Minnesota quilt show (drop off day is just 10 days away!) I will take additional photos for the blog.


Now I will need to look backwards to what has already been done this year and then try to work through some of my archive quilts to at least get them documented.

No comments: