Sunday, January 23, 2011

Judy Neimeyer's Autumn Splendor

A couple of years ago I took the Autumn Splendor class from Judy Neimeyer.  I really appreciate the paper piecing method for the long skinny points and Judy's technique minimizing the number of pieces converging on a single point.  This quilt turned out so well that I know I will be making a future Judy Neimeyer design.



When I saw Brian's apartment last year it was clear that he needed some color in his space.  Something to work with the tans and light golds but also to provide contrast and a spark.  Then I thought of this quilt - which of course was not yet completed.  By February 2010 the quilt top was ready.  I already knew how I was going to quilt it so I didn't feel any pressure to get going on it during the year. (I really need to learn to not put things off just because there is time still on the calendar)  By the time I was supposed to be finishing the quilting, our days were consumed with family and health issues. 

The quilting actually went as quickly as I planned.  What I didn't expect was the scalloped edge binding as a learning experience.  This took significantly longer than anticipated.  I had never done a scalloped binding and quickly realized that I didn't have a clear idea of how I was going to convert my familiar binding steps to this different angle.  Fortunately I found a web reference to Linda Franz Scallops and great directions on how to complete the Scalloped Binding ( click here for the link to her page: http://lindafranz.com/index.php?sectionId=40).



I am very pleased with the final results and have been looking at fabric for the next one.  Brian says the wall-hanging is the best quilt I have made so far and hopes that he will be the recipient of the Hawaiian Star bed sized quilt.  Somehow I doubt that he will get the next one.


1 comment:

Julie said...

Looks beautiful! Hopefully you'll find time to make the Glacier Star this year!
Julie Arrowood