Saturday, December 28, 2013

I'm Back!

I can't believe how fast the past 15 months have flown by.  As many know I took an interim director's job in Reno for the last year and just now am catching up with my prior life.  One thing that living alone in a furnished studio apartment for 11 months will do for you is give you time to reflect on family, friends and quilts.  I got a lot done in the last year so there will be a number of postings all in a row.

Starting at the first of the year.  January 2013 was the Glad's Staff Quilt Show.  For 2013 we had a theme of early Glad Creations Quilt Patterns.  I chose the Migration By Night with a reverse color palette.The quilt was made for my son who is a helicopter pilot in the Army. 

I made a few adjustments to add some blocks to take the pattern out to a full queen size.  I also added a flying geese border to tie the theme back in and add more size. I love the flying geese pattern, and stars are an all-time favorite, so this quilt worked for me on a number of levels.  The batiks were fun to work with and a project I would be willing to do again.  I love the way the blocks go together and fit the border without a lot of fussing

 



Page Johnson of The Quilting Page worked with me to design a quilting motif that fits the piecing layout well.  I thought it was brilliant that she used the lime green thread for the quilting.  The bright color really makes a statement on the quilt and helps tie all the smaller pieces together.

This quilt won 2nd place at the Machine Quilt Festival, in Manchester New Hampshire, for Computerized Quilting.

No comments: